There is much more to choosing a coffee table than your unique tastes. Granted, that will be a big part of your final decision process, but there are some other things you need to consider. There is a process that you should always follow before and during the buying process.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 things to consider before buying a coffee table so you can make an educated purchase. One that will fit perfectly into the spot that you have picked out for it.
- Budget – The first thing you need to consider when buying a coffee table is your budget. How much you can afford to spend will be a huge deciding factor once you start shopping, so make sure you have an accurate budget created.
- Size – You know where you want to place the coffee table, so get the tape measure out and get some numbers for length, width, and height. Write down the largest table size that you could make work and the smallest one that would be feasible. When you go shopping, you will need to pick a table that falls within those measurements unless you are willing to rearrange your entire room just to fit a bigger coffee table into the design.
- Visual Impact – While taking measurements, you need to consider the visual impact on the room. A rectangular coffee table will look much different than an oval one, making the table look more sleek and streamlined. If you have little space around the table’s edges, you should consider something without square corners to offer more space to get up and sit down.
- Safety – Glass coffee tables look fantastic, as do ornamental ones with carved edges, but they can be dangerous for young children. They can also be very harmful to older adults that have balance issues. If you fall into either of these groups, you will want to stick with basic designs made of anything except glass.
- Style – Your specific style is vital because it must fit into the design you already have in the room. A table made of hardwood, such as a teak coffee table, can accent your room perfectly. Wood designs fit into almost any design unless you are more of a modern material kind of person, then you can find some unique cube-looking tables or even some tables made from plastics and metals.
- Function – You need to have a function in mind for the coffee table you purchase. If it is going to simply be for a showpiece, you will want to buy something different than if you plan to use it for storage. If you want it to be a multipurpose table, you must buy one accordingly.
- Matching – If you have a small, dainty couch, you will not want to purchase a huge, antique-looking coffee table. On the other hand, if you have an oversized, plush sofa, you would not want to buy a small table that looks out of place. All the pieces must match in size, shape, appearance, and color.
- Options – Keep your options open. You do not always have to go along with the current trends or even the most conventional style. You are unique and have your own tastes and desires, which you can put into your coffee table.
- Groupings – It may look better to have a couple of different tables that appear to go together like they were designed that way. This can be an effective way to get a table in front of a sectional couch or to help give more storage space to a small room.
- Cost – The final deciding factor of any purchase is the price. If you feel that the price tag is too much and the store salesperson will not go down a little, you need to move on to the next choice. If it does not seem like a good buy to you, it will haunt you if you do buy it.
That is all there is to picking out the perfect coffee table for the space that you have for it. Take your time and find the perfect fit. The coffee tables that you have looked at will still be there tomorrow, and if they aren’t, then they were not meant to be in your home.
Furniture shopping can be stressful if you do not approach the task with a plan. But even then, you will find that the task is not always easy, especially when looking for something truly unique. Don’t give up because, eventually, you will find the coffee table of your dreams, so do not settle for anything less.