Turning a house into a home is not always an easy feat. Sometimes, even what seems like a simple decision can be deceptively challenging once you get right into it. For example, choosing the skirting boards for your home. Who would have thought that selecting the right skirting boards could be as challenging as choosing what paint colors you should go with?
Once you start researching types of different skirting boards, you’ll find yourself bamboozled with such a large selection it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Where do you even begin? Well, for one thing, fitting your homes with the perfect skirting is something that is best left to the professionals like the Skirting King. You could DIY the job too, but when left to the professionals, there is a huge weight off your shoulders knowing that skirtings are going to turn out in your home perfectly.
There are going to be several decisions that you have to make about your skirting boards before you fit them. For one thing, you’ll have to choose the type of skirting board you want. Here is the first challenging decision you’re going to have to make: Should you choose plain skirting boards or decorative skirting boards? Which option is going to turn your home into that picture-perfect vision you had in your mind? This is probably the point where you’ll be glad you enlisted the help of a professional who can offer their years of expertise and decorative flair to help you out. The perfect skirting board is going to make all the difference in the world, and here is how you narrow your options and decide if plain or decorative skirting boards are the way to go for your home:
- Consider the Style of Your Home – Your first step in selecting the right skirting boards is to think about the style of your home and the style that you are going for. Do you prefer the minimalist approach? Something a little more modern or contemporary? The answers will help you decide the right style of skirting board. Smaller homes with lower ceilings are better off with plain skirting boards because you don’t want to draw attention to the fact that your ceiling space is lower. Decorative skirting boards do much better in homes with higher ceilings to work with. This way, it adds more elements to the room so it doesn’t look too vast or empty.
- The Location of Your Skirting Boards – Decorative skirting boards are more suited to the rooms that are going to be prominent in your home. Prominent rooms mean that the room is going to be where you, your family, friends, and any guests in the home are likely to congregate most of the time. In most cases, this is going to be your lounge room and dining room. If you have the space to work with, decorative skirting boards are going to add some flair to this room and your guests will be sure to notice them. Plain skirting boards can be applied in the simpler areas of your home, like the hallway or kitchen areas. Decorative skirting boards will draw a lot more attention than plain ones, and if you want your walls to get noticed, save the decorative skirting boards for the high traffic areas of the home. Don’t be afraid to go bold and be daring with your selection of skirting boards, you don’t have to always play it safe and stick to plain and simple designs. You’d be surprised at how your choice of skirting board can transform the look of a room.
- Consider Your Scales and Proportions – Something else to consider when you’re picking out your skirting boards is to think about the size of your room. The higher the ceiling, the taller the skirting boards. Taller skirting boards will be well suited to the decorative style of skirting since there is more room to play around with the design. The design of these skirting boards is going to have a very strong influence on how the overall look of the room turns out, and you definitely don’t want designs that look too cramped or too busy.
- How Much Time You Have to Spare for Cleaning – Cleaning your skirting boards is something to keep in mind. If you’re someone who hates cleaning and has very little time for it, decorative skirting boards might not be the best fit for you. Stick to the plain skirting boards if you are someone who falls in this category since they are much faster and easier to clean. Plain skirting boards have a sleek and slim design too, and this means that they will not gather as much dust and dirt as the decorative ones will. Decorative skirting boards will absolutely take up more of your time when it comes to cleaning since you will have to clean all the little nooks and crannies that come with ornate features.
- The Future Upkeep – When you are selecting the skirting boards for your home, the future is something to think about. At some point, you’ll probably repaint areas of your home that need a little touch-up, and rooms with skirting boards could be one of those areas. With the walls getting redone, the skirting boards would need a fresh coat of paint too. The easier the design, the faster it is to paint. This is another point to keep in mind in case you were thinking about repainting your home by yourself. Decorative skirting boards sometimes require special tools or brushes to get the paint layer evenly across every inch of the surface. If this sounds too tedious for you, perhaps plain skirting boards might be the way to go.
No matter what style of skirting board you are after, the right professionals will have a range of options for you to choose from. The right professional will have a range of options to suit every budget. With their helpful advice and expertise, you’ll have the assurance of knowing your home renovation is going to be well taken care of.