Are you trying to decide how to design your living room with rustic furniture? Do you want to create an ambiance that’s reminiscent of the mountains or the coast? Do you want a country look but something chicer and more sophisticated? It doesn’t matter what sort of style you’re going for since there are plenty of ways to design your home with rustic furniture.
What Is Rustic Furniture?
Rustic furniture refers to furniture using branches, logs, or sticks for a cozy, natural appearance. The word ‘rustic’ has been derived from the Latin ‘rusticus,’ which means simple, rural, or rough. Hence, rustic furniture is generally characterized by simple, outdoor-inspired designs, mainly using wood and other natural materials.
The key to achieving a rustic and stylish design for your living space is to find pieces with a certain charm about them. You want a natural beauty to the furniture you and your family will adore.
Achieve A Rustic Living Space
Rustic home furniture can be made using different kinds of wood. Popular choices are those of maple, oak, cherry, and others. The furniture can be made using a combination of wood and natural stone to achieve the desired rustic look. For more details about home decorating ideas, Best Rustic Furniture and other sources have recommendations you could try.
Here are different ways to design your home’s living space with rustic furniture:
- Visualize The Design
Before you decide on the furniture pieces you want, the first step is to figure out how they’re going to be put together in your living space You can create a design by drawing out a picture of the room or seek the help of an interior designer. Here are some guidelines:
- If you’re doing this by yourself, the first thing you need to do is create a design sketch. Use pencils, clay, paints, or whatever else you have available. Give each piece a shape and color and work from there.
- Try to imagine how the pieces will fit into each other. There should be ample room to move around while inspiring a country living atmosphere. You can use different wall texture effects to customize your room.
- Your rustic living space shouldn’t be limited to a traditional country theme. There are many designs you can consider, including rustic industrial design, modern farmhouse style, and more.
When planning your layout, think about how many visitors you’ll be allowing into your home, the amount of seating you’ll have, and where certain features such as the fireplace will be placed. Remember, what’s appealing on the internet doesn’t always look good in real life. So try to visualize a few ideas before you commit to the one looking best in the room you’re decorating.
- Choose The Right Furniture
Now you’ve visualized the design, it’s time to buy the furniture. Choosing the right rustic equipment requires attention to detail. Take a look at these tips for picking the furniture for your living space:
When considering how to design your living space, you must first decide what kind will best fit your style. Are you going for rustic furniture with a hint of contemporary design to give it a modern feel? Or are you looking to bring some of the histories back into your home with antique rustic furniture? You don’t want something ornate or fancy, so look for pieces inspiring rural or country-living.
You’ll need to take into consideration the amount of space you can work with. Would you like a sofa, a settee, a coffee table, or a television stand? Keep in mind, some items are only available in certain shapes and sizes, so it’ll be necessary to know what you can have before you order.
Look around and try to find pieces that look good. However, don’t just purchase because it looks nice. You’ll be putting these items around your home for many years, so you want to make sure they’re durable. You wouldn’t want to have cheap and junk furniture.
Your living room is where you’d be spending most of your time, so it should be comfortable and stylish. Do some research on the different types of furniture available and choose rustic furniture functioning properly. When buying, remember to check out the manufacturer’s warranty as well as any return policy they may have.
As a rule of thumb, give yourself plenty of time to shop around and compare prices. You may be surprised at the great deals you can find if you take your time in looking.
- Place The Rustic Furniture Strategically
Next, you need to figure out where in your house you’d like your furniture to be placed. Is it in the corner? On the patio? In the basement? To achieve a country-inspired look, you’ll want to determine where you want all of your pieces to go. This is very important because you’d want to space them correctly.
Take note of how much space is available, so you won’t have to take measurements once you start assembling. Some pieces may need to be moved around, which shouldn’t be a problem if you have a large living space to use.
How can you strategically arrange your rustic furniture so they achieve your design goals? Here are some ideas to ponder upon:
- Think about the activities taking place in your home and decide where in the room you’d like your furniture to be placed.
- Avoid overcrowding the living space as you’d want the area to allow freedom of movement. If you have a small area, strategically place rustic accents around the room instead of filling it with large pieces of furniture.
- Rustic furniture looks great when it’s placed in the middle of the room. It can also look appealing when positioned against the wall.
- Don’t Neglect Your Wall Paint
You may have the best rustic furniture or high-quality pieces of furnishings, but neglecting to paint your walls with a complementary color would put all your efforts in vain.
Color is an important factor to consider when decorating your living space. The walls, floors, and ceiling act as a backdrop for your furnishings. You may think you’re restricted to neutral, boring hues when going for a rustic atmosphere at home, but it isn’t always the case. Here are some recommendations:
- Neutral hues like white, cream, and beige can make your living space appear larger than it seems. You can use rustic furniture in light to medium-brown tones to complement the light hues.
- Warm colors like yellow, orange, or rust look great when accented with natural-hued accents and furniture.
- Gray walls look chic when decorated with warm-hued furniture for a cozy ambiance.
No matter what wall color you choose, it’s best to have wooden rustic furniture complementing the surroundings.
- Consider Different Textures
Think about the atmosphere you’d like to create when designing your living space. You should be sure your materials shouldn’t only include color but various textures as well. Adorning your living space only with rustic wooden furnishings is a little too simplistic. Think about other materials you’d like to see in your room.
Leather and wood look great, but there are also plenty of fabrics and upholstery options to choose from. How can you achieve a rustic ambiance in your living space while incorporating other elements?
- Choose natural fabrics in various textures and hues to invite warmth and comfort.
- Don’t forget the charming details. A rustic living space won’t be complete without quirky accents and relaxed décor.
- Introduce other elements such as galvanized metal accents, distressed wood, and woven fiber accessories for added character or personality to your living space.
- Hire A Professional Decorator
There are many interior design ideas available for rustic decorating. But if you don’t have the time to spare, you can work with an interior designer to achieve your preferred style and ambiance. How does a professional decorator help achieve your living space design goals?
- A professional interior designer can help you design a room that fits your personality and your lifestyle. Designers are trained to help people visualize their spaces, design their rooms, and select furnishings accordingly.
- An interior designer can do all the planning, research, and budgeting, but a reliable and reputable professional will involve you in these important tasks, especially the design aspect of the project.
When looking at interior design firms, take time to research and find out more about the company you’re interested in. Learn as much as you can, including what services they offer, what their rates are, what previous customers say about them, and what kinds of reviews they’ve received.
Once you know how to design your living room with rustic furniture, you’d soon realize you can have whatever you want. There are so many possibilities, and your only limitation is your imagination.
Rustic furniture is a versatile work of art. Rustic decor is both unique and traditional, which is perfect for today’s home. Give it a try, and you may find it’s one of the most enjoyable home design projects you could ever attempt.