You will find that nowadays there is a rising trend of clothes coming out of the closet, and becoming a part of the home decoration.
Racks aren’t just a flimsy fix nowadays, but beautiful furniture that makes displaying your wardrobe fun.
If you want to embrace the style of a clothes rack, prepare to go minimal, as most of them are around 100 to 130cm in width.
And, this also means you should forget about any clutter habits as well. If you don’t want your clothes on display, a hanging clothes rack can also be useful for a hallway or guest bedroom. And, a few wardrobe racks can be pretty versatile.
A free-standing clothes rack is very practical, and will definitely make things easier. It isn’t just a commercial store equipment, and many of these racks come with shelves or drawers that let you store things such as hand bags or shoes.
Image source: Louisiana Custom Closets
You can find anything from a wooden clothes rack, to a metal clothes rack, as well as a wall mounted clothes rack and a dress rack. There are also clothes racks for bedrooms that come with a cover which protects your wardrobe from fading and dust as well.
Image source: Chris A Dorsey Photography
These things are simple, affordable, and reliable. Their greatest advantages are the easy installation and simple design, as well as the fact that you can move them from one room to another, and most of them have an adjustable height from the floor.
Image source: California Closets Southdale
If you want to avoid loss of space, a wall mounted clothes rack or a hanging clothes rack is your best bet. And, instead of spending money on buying one, you can make one yourself pretty easily. A wood clothes rack, for example, is pretty easy to do.
Image source: Roomscapes Cabinetry and Design Center
Or, you can paint an old pipe and use it as a hanger. There are plenty of clothing rack ideas, especially for small spaces. Just look online, and you will have a clothes rack idea before you know it. They’re cheap, and the DIY ideas and designs are widely available.
Image source: Mountain Sky Closets
One of the greatest advantages here is convenience. Since you have full access to garments at all times, you no longer have to cram things and spend a lot of time searching for what you need.
Image source: Highmark Builders
Your clothes rack is pretty easy to make, and you should make sure it fits in the room décor. For example, an industrial design doesn’t look that good in a rustic bedroom, and vice versa.
A clothing rack near the entrance can be pretty useful. You can have your guests leave their coats there, as well as their bags and accessories. You can even put some shelves or compartments for these things too.
An open closet will give you more structure with this, and you can have a rack, as well as space beneath for the shoes. And, there’s an option for displaying things such as a vase on the top.
Organization of a dressing room
In a dressing room, a clothing rack is a must. If you want to help yourself keep things clean, you can add plenty of storing options. For example, two racks and a mirror make pretty good main elements in a room. A free standing clothes rack can be custom made, and you can even make one yourself with wood and metal pipes.
A free standing clothing rack, or even a wall mounted clothes rack, can be pretty ideal if you want to make things seem more spacious. And, it’s user-friendly and very practical. Another practical solution is a rolling clothing rack.
Image source: House of L Interior Design
You can move it around, as well as store it out of sight or in a corner when you don’t use it, only to bring it back to the center when you’ll be using it. Some rolling racks even have a shelf for boxes, baskets or shoes at the bottom. You can even go as far as having a complete outfit, organized and laid out, waiting for you to put it on.
Image source: Tim Barber Ltd Architecture
If you choose to make one on your own, building it gives you a lot of choices. If you have a bit of scrap wood, and metal pipes, it’s very easy, and infinitely customizable.
Image source: Mint Architecture
Depending on what your needs and preferences are, you can include anything from an extra rod for belts and bags, to shoe boxes below. And, the space above the rack shouldn’t be wasted. Nothing’s preventing you from putting a wall-mounted shelf, on which you can store and display accessories.
Clothing storage in the bedroom
In the bedroom, you’ll also appreciate some kind of clothing storage, and a rack can do very well here. When you’re choosing one, make sure to go for a heavy duty one, which supports plenty of weight, and if possible, one with wheels. This, as described above, gives you the flexibility of putting it somewhere away once you don’t need it.
A few tips on organization:
- Storage units should be combined for different needs. Drawers for folded items, boxes for things you don’t use a lot, and hangers for suits and dresses.
- To keep clothes in order, use shelf dividers.
- Treat your closet like a small room – it helps you keep it in shape.
- Floor coverings, wall color and lighting shouldn’t be neglected. The closet should be well-lit, which lets you properly see the clothes’ colors.
- Install a second closet rod, right above the main one. This gives you more hanging space, and you can get a stool or rod if you can’t reach the items you need.
- Make things colorful, by opting for the same colors of hangers.
- Similar clothing items should be organized in a section, such as shirts in one part, and skirts and trousers in another, as you prefer.
- If you don’t want bumps, and want to prevent things from slacking, all knit items, such as t-shirts, sweaters, socks, and even some blouses, should be folded.
- If you have deep shelves, fold your clothes appropriately. When you have a dresser, or other drawers, you’re better of stacking clothes vertically. If you have open shelves, don’t stack them too high or they may tumble.
- If you have a two-tier clothing rack, it will help you a lot with coordinating, such as a pair of jeans with a trendy top.
- Make sure the clothes you use more often are easily accessible, and visible. And, the ones you want to start wearing more often should be there as well. You’re more likely to wear what you see more often, and your most used items should be stored at eye level.
Image source: Visbeen Architects
If you want to add a bit of functionality, read the things below.
- Add two shelves, one at the bottom, for shoes, and another one at the top, for bags.
- Store scarves and other similar accessories on the side.
- Use screw hooks for sunglasses, jewelry and belts. They’re neater than nails, and work better.
- Smaller items, such as buttons and pins, can be put into open boxes, or even jars.
- Things you don’t use, or use on very few occasions, can be put in boxes.
Ending thoughts on using a clothes rack
If you want to organize your clothing, from dresses, trousers and accessories, and keep them in order, a clothes rack is a great option. Some only hold a few pieces, while others can support a pretty big volume.
You can get some pretty unique designs as well, such as a spiral clothing rack, which is visually appealing, as well as practical. The most common ones are a free standing clothes rack, and a wall-mounted clothes rack. And, whichever you choose to go for, just get one. It is pretty essential.