The COVID-19 pandemic has forced government officials to mandate stay-at-home orders as a means of protecting the general public. You may agree that this is a necessary measure to prevent the spread of the virus and save millions of lives in the process, but the idea of being stuck in your house for the next few weeks (or longer) can still be unnerving. Seriously. What in the world are you going to do with all this time on your hands?
Get Busy on That To-Do List
Rather than spend your days obsessing over the news reports or binge-watching television and gorging on comfort foods, why not take this time to improve your house? There are likely tons of little odd projects you’ve been putting off due to a hectic schedule, so, now is the perfect time to start checking things off the list. If you’re looking for a simple and affordable home improvement idea, start by updating or converting your lights.
Why Update or Convert Household Lights?
Residential lighting not only adds aesthetic appeal to your home, but it is essential for daily function and security. Not to mention, lights are pretty easy to install on your own and can be purchased on a limited budget. Starting with light updates can give you the added motivation you need to complete other projects in and around the house.
If your house could use some new lights, here are some suggestions below:
Exterior Home Lighting
Your home’s exterior needs to be properly lit to provide additional security at night. Properly placed lights can also add aesthetic appeal and make your outdoor living spaces more functional (which can be a great place to stay entertained while remaining home). Below, you’ll find a few ideas to spruce up your outdoors with lights. Just be sure to shop for any necessary supplies, tools, or conversion kits online and have them shipped to your house or a local store for pickup. This helps support social distancing, by not putting yourself and others at risk, unnecessarily.
- String Lights – String lights have become very popular outdoors. Designed to provide more light and aesthetic appeal, these lights can be easily installed throughout your yard and garden. You can hang them from your terrace, pavilion, or outdoor awning, string them from poles, or even use them as trim along your back door and deck.
- Lanterns – Another easy exterior home lighting update is adding lanterns to your front and back yard. For a more subtle vibe, you might opt for lanterns that hold candles. If you need a bit more light outdoors, then it’s probably best to purchase lanterns with LED lights. They can be placed on tables, decks, and even hung from outdoor walls.
- Pendant Lights – Whether you enjoy your time at home sitting on your front porch enjoying the sunshine and fresh air or you love mealtimes in your backyard with loved ones, pendant lights can make it easy for you to enjoy those warm spring nights even longer. Making this process seamless is as easy as buying a can light conversion kit By using a light conversion kit, you can effortlessly transform once recessed lit areas into beautifully lit areas you can enjoy during the stay-at-home order.
Interior Home Lights
When you’re indoors you want to be comfortable. The right lighting updates can make your space feel more inviting and functional for nighttime entertainment. Here are some ideas listed below. Again, don’t forget to order online to remain safe by practicing home isolation.
- Table and Floor Lamps – When you need extra light for reading, watching television, or simply talking with your family, decorative table and floor lamps are a great addition. There’s really no installation required as you simply select the lamps that best suit your decor and have them shipped to your home.
- Dimmers – Whether you need to be alert and productive or you’re trying to relax and take it easy, dimming light fixtures are an ideal solution. These are fixtures in which the bulbs can glow brighter or dimmer to provide you with the appropriate amount of light. These are great to install in family rooms, game rooms, living rooms, or bedrooms.
- Ceiling Fans – Another interior light update that typically requires a light conversion kit would be to convert or install ceiling fans that also double as lights. They can provide you with a cool breeze on a warm spring day while also giving you the light you need at night. Whether you want something basic or elaborate, there are several ceiling fan styles to suit your home decor and budget.
Instead of being bummed out by the request to stay indoors during the coronavirus pandemic, take this as an opportunity to improve your home. Even simple and affordable updates to interior and exterior lighting can bring a whole new look to your space allowing you to enjoy being at home just a little bit more.