HVAC systems can generate high energy expenses, cause property damage and create uncomfortable conditions in the home unless they’re properly maintained.
The costs of the energy needed to run your HVAC system year-round are among the highest expenses homeowners pay.
You can’t change the weather, but you can increase energy efficiency and household comfort by scheduling professional service and performing a simple tasks to maximize AC performance.
Tips to Keep Your HVAC System Running Effectively
The best practice for maintaining your air conditioning and heating systems is to schedule regular maintenance at least once or twice a year before the appropriate season begins.
During the rest of the year, it’s wise to stay on top of things to keep the system running at maximum efficiency. The following tips are things that every homeowner can do to maintain home AC systems:
- Check your home for air leaks that allow cool air to escape, and insulate them.
- Use ceiling fans to reduce energy consumption while maintaining a comfortable temperature.
- Lower heating and raise air conditioning temperatures when you’re away from home.
- Insulate ducts to prevent air from losing or gaining temperature.
- Check for clogged water drains in the AC system, which can damage the system.
- Replace air filters regularly to reduce the strain on cooling and heating units that clogged filters generate.
- Clean debris and trim shrubbery around outdoor AC housing units.
- If ice collects on the AC unit, you can temporarily fix the problem by turning off the system and letting the ice melt.
AC System Performance
Your AC system’s performance depends on AC repair and regular maintenance services. Hiring a professional technician is important to keep all elements of your HVAC system in good repair. The kind of service you need is similar to the service regimen offered at https://penguincool.com.
During a routine service call, your technician or service team will perform the following services:
- System Inspection
All moving components are checked for wear, the wiring is inspected for shorts, thermostats are calibrated and worn parts are replaced. Each area is covered including compressors, evaporators, blowers, ductwork and other system components.
Moving parts need regular lubrication to reduce friction and to prevent wear and overheating.
- Coolant Check
Air conditioners work using coolant under pressure. Low coolant levels are caused by a leak somewhere, and if not addressed, could result in a complete system breakdown.
- Cleaning the System
Removing dust and debris is important for the mechanical parts of the AC system and the ductwork. Technicians will also change air filters during a service call.
AC System Repair
No matter where you live, HVAC systems need to be maintained–even in areas where temperatures remain moderate most of the year. Your AC unit needs regular maintenance and AC repair to last as long as possible.
Replacing the system is expensive and disruptive. Scheduling maintenance and repairs reduces energy consumption, maximizes family comfort and prevents major repair bills.