Choosing a new cabinet wardrobe can be a fun process, but it’s not a decision to take lightly. There are several things to consider before making your purchase to ensure that your wardrobe works well in your space.
We’re going to share some of the most important things to look for when choosing a wardrobe cabinet for your bedroom.
Before you start looking at styles and colors, take measurements of your space. If you don’t take measurements, you may wind up buying cabinets that are too big or too small for your space.
- How much floor space do you have?
- What is the height of the ceiling?
- How much wall space will your wardrobe take up?
You’ll also need to consider where your clothes will hang. For example, you need a height of at least 45” for skirts, pants and blouses. If the wardrobe is for a child, a height of 30” will suffice.
Here are a few other things to consider:
- Make sure that your wardrobe won’t be blocking any windows, sources of natural light or vents.
- Make sure there’s enough space between the wardrobe and the rest of your bedroom furniture to move around and use your space.
Once you’ve measured your space, you can easily narrow down your choices to cabinets that will fit in your bedroom.
With sizing out of the way, you can start looking at colors and styles. First, consider what styles you like and the colors in your bedroom.
Some of the most popular wardrobe styles include:
- Doorless: These allow you to put your clothing on display and include a mix of different elements (shelving, rods, drawers, etc.).
- Two-door: With this style, the wardrobe is split in half. One side consists of rods and the other of shelving.
- Three-door: With this style, you get a little more space because there’s an additional area of either shelving or rods.
- Sliding doors: If you’re short on space, a sliding door is a great option. You’ll be able to access your clothing without having to open a door outward.
Style is just one aspect of your wardrobe. Color is important, too.
Not sure how to choose a cabinet color? Here are a few tips:
- Choose a color that complements other colors in your bedroom
- Stick to a safe, neutral color, like white, black, gray or beige
- Consider the colors of other furniture in your bedroom and choose one that matches
If you’re still unsure of which colors will work best in your space, take a look around at your options. At IVO Cabinets & Surfaces, for example, you can look at their Material Boards page for inspiration on colors and finishes. These ideas can help you determine what may look best in your space.
Cabinet Material and Finish
Along with color and style, it’s important to consider the material and finish of the cabinet. You have many options here, so consider the pros and cons of each one carefully before making your final decision.
Some of the most common options for cabinet materials include:
- Solid wood: Cabinets made of solid wood are highly durable and long-lasting. They will give you decades of use if you care for them properly. Solid wood can include pine, oak, hickory, maple, cherry, ash, birch and more.
- MDF: Medium density fiberboard, or MDF, is a lower-cost alternative to solid wood. It is a type of engineered wood created by breaking down hardwood or softwood into fibers.
- Glass or mirrors: Maybe you prefer to have glass or mirrors instead of cabinet doors in some areas of your wardrobe. Mirrored wardrobes eliminate the need to hang separate mirrors, and they help make the space feel brighter.
Along with the material itself, you’ll need to consider the finish. You have a few options here:
- Matte: A matte finish does not reflect light, which creates a velvety appearance. This type of finishing will blend in well with other furnishings and won’t draw attention away from other items in your room.
- Glossy: For smaller spaces, a glossy finish can help reflect light and make the space feel bigger and brighter. A glossy finish is also a great choice for rooms in the modern style.
Lastly, consider the functionality of the wardrobe. How will you use it? Will you be storing more than just clothes? The functionality of the wardrobe will play an important role in your decision on style and finishes, too.
These are some of the most important things to consider when choosing a cabinet wardrobe for your bedroom. Don’t forget to include your budget in your considerations as well.