Glass is a versatile material in interior décor, and so is its use in bathrooms. Glass shower doors turn your bathroom into a luxurious and elegant space. They bring a spa-like feel to every shower moment and contribute to making your bathroom one of the best rooms in the home.
There are numerous benefits to installing a shower glass door in your bathroom. Installing a shower door or upgrading to a shower enclosure makes your bathroom appear more significant than its original size. This is because glass gives the illusion of a larger space.
Also, glass doors reflect natural light into the bathroom. This eliminates dimness and shadows during the day. At night, it creates an artistic effect of multiple light reflections by reflecting artificial light sources in the bathroom.
Instead of cold drafts typical with shower curtains why do not you upgrade your experience with a shower door. As a result, installing or upgrading to a shower door is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your bathroom.
UNDERSTAND THE SHOWER DOOR TYPES – Select one According to Your Space
There are different ways and styles your shower door can be installed. These are:
- Sliding Shower Doors: These are also referred to as bypass doors. It consists of two to three glass panels placed on a track. The glass panels slide on the track using the pathway.
- Pivot shower Doors: These door types are glass panels attached to the wall or another glass panel with hinges. The door opens outward into the bathroom from one side. Pivot doors can swing in and out.
- Hinged Shower Doors: These are similar to pivot doors because they are attached with hinges as well. The difference is that while pivot doors can swing inward and outward, hinged doors can only swing outward.
- Fixed Shower Doors: These are also referred to as fixed screens. They feature a single glass panel attached to one side of the shower wall. The glass is static and does not move like other shower door types.
- Folding Shower Doors: These can be installed as tri-fold or bi-fold doors. It consists of two (bi-fold) or three (tri-fold) glass panels. One panel is fixed to the wall or support frame while other glass panels move and fold into each other when pulled.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED TO MEASURE YOUR SHOWER DOORS
To measure your shower door accurately, you will need the following.
- Measuring Tape
- Pen and paper
- Two individuals for support
HOW TO MEASURE FOR A GLASS SHOWER DOOR
- Step 1: Make a Sketch of Your Shower
The first step to measuring your shower door correctly is to sketch your shower. Before beginning at all, you must decide on the shower door type you want to install.
Sketch your shower to have a graphical reference where you can put down all the measurements taken. For accuracy, when taking measures, take each one twice and opt for the more significant number. Accurate measurement is especially important if you are opting for a custom shower door.
- Step 2: Measure the Width
The next step is to get the shower’s width measurement. Measure the shower’s width from one end of the wall to another using the tape measure. For accurate measurements, divide the wall into the top, middle, and base. Then measure along these three divisions.
For a neo-angle or corner shower, measure the shower’s base in sections.
- Step 3: Check if the Walls Are Plumb
The plumbness of the wall is essential in the successful installation of your shower doors.
Check the wall’s plumbness by placing the level flat on each of the shower walls. Take a look at the level’s bubble. A centered bubble between the indication lines means the wall is perfectly plumb.
A bubble that tilts to the left or right between the indication lines means the wall is not plumb. In this case, move the level slowly away from the shower wall until the bubble is centered. Keep the level in the position and indicate the distance between the level and wall on your shower sketch.
Disclose the information to the professional who will be taking care of the door’s installation.
Repeat the process on the top and bottom of each shower wall.
- Step 4: Measure the Height
Use the tape measure to determine the height of your shower by starting from the base to the shower top. If there will be a threshold at the base, start from the threshold’s top and measure upwards to where your shower ends,
- Step 5: Measure the Opening
Will your new doors be sitting over a threshold on the base? Then make use of the base width measured in section earlier. Will the shower door be the same as the new door? All you need do is measure the current door’s width. If you are installing a different door, measure the desired width, especially if it will be smaller than the width of the threshold.
Buy High-Quality Shower Doors From Glassgenius
Glass Genius is the world first marketplace, where you can buy quality glass products with reasonable cost, and you can find local glass glaziers and suppliers near you at Glass Genius. Glass Genius offers high quality shower doors which are a great addition to your bathroom. Now you can shop online for high-quality custom glass shower doors. Head on to Glass Genius to place your orders today.