Wood slats wall has grown in popularity in modern and contemporary interior designs. These are composed of vertical or horizontal wood strips as decorative elements that bring warmth into a space. Its natural color and texture can make a room feel cozy. They’re also perfect for adding accents to your exterior cladding.
There are many types of wood you can use for wood slats. However, finding the specific kind to suit your home décor theme can be overwhelming. Plus, you have to consider their suitability for interior or exterior use. Here are some options to help you find the best wood type for your wood slats wall:
Hardwood is a top choice for interior and exterior applications. It’s an excellent choice for creating a sleek wood slats wall to make a space more inviting. Some of the popular hardwood types are the following:
- Walnut: Walnut is one of the most durable and long-lasting types of hardwood. Its deep color brings elegance into a space. It’s also excellent for outdoor use since it’s weather-resistant. It’s suitable for wood slats as an exterior accent wall popular in modern minimalist homes.
- Redwood: Redwood is one of the strongest types of wood available. It’s resistant to warping and splitting, suited for heavy customization and cutting into thin strips to make wood slat wall panels. This type of hardwood is also naturally termite-resistant, so you don’t have to worry about infestation and damage. Like walnut, redwood is also ideal for interior and exterior use.
- Alder Wood: Alder wood is perfect for those who want lighter red tones with minimal grain patterns. It’s also a durable option for outdoor applications due to its water-resistant features. Plus, it’s more affordable than most hardwood types.
Make sure you take into account the wall’s size when choosing hardwood for wood slats. Hardwood is more on the expensive side, but it’s well worth its price.
Softwoods are an excellent choice for achieving a classy interior design feature without breaking the bank. Although softwoods are slightly less durable than hardwoods, they’re still an excellent choice for various applications, especially for a wood slats wall. Here are some of the best softwood options:
- Cedar: Cedar is the most popular softwood used for interior and exterior finishes. It’s naturally weather-resistant, perfect for outdoor furnishing. It also repels most bugs. You can maintain its look by refinishing it every two or three years.
- Pinewood: Pinewood is another excellent option for a wood slats wall. It’s highly durable and resistant to warping, ideal for moisture-prone areas like kitchens. Since it has a light color, you can easily stain it with your preferred shade to match your interior aesthetics.
- Fir: Fir is known for its strength and stability, suitable for construction. Its fine, straight grains are perfect for vertical wood slats that create the illusion of a taller wall. Likewise, it can make a space look wider when installed horizontally.
When you can’t find hardwood slats, softwood is an ideal alternative. Again, add refinishing and other maintenance into your budget when getting softwood.
- Reclaimed Wood
Reclaimed wood is an eco-friendly option for creating wood slats wall panels. This type of wood comes from old structures and is reprocessed for various applications. They’re also popular for exterior claddings, floors, and headboards.
Using reclaimed wood for your wood slats wall is ideal for adding a unique character to a space. Reclaimed wood has more texture and marks from its past life, making your home interior feel more rustic. You can also stain them to create a monotone look.
Bamboo is another sustainable option for wood slats walls. Although it’s technically a type of grass, experts have developed a process to make them as durable as most woods used in construction and furnishing. Plus, they’re more sustainable since they can grow faster than trees.
Bamboo wood slats are lightweight and perfect for ceiling installations. It’s also more water-resistant than hardwood, perfect for application in bathroom ceilings and other moisture-prone areas. They’re also much more affordable when you want to revamp your home interior on a budget.
Plywood is another budget-friendly option. You can purchase ready-cut plywood strips for creating wood slats wall. Since this material isn’t water-resistant, you can only use them in dry areas like the living room and bedroom.
Moreover, plywood is an excellent option if you plan on painting your slats. It’s more practical to use plywood in a colorful feature wall. You can also paint it the same color as your walls for a more cohesive design aesthetic but with added texture.
Composites are a popular choice for interior and exterior furnishing. One common type used for wood slats is a wood-plastic composite board. It’s made of 70% polymer, 15% wood powder, and 15% additives, making it more durable than organic wood. It’s also waterproof, which is ideal for outdoor wood slat claddings.
Another common option is medium-density fiberboard (MDF). This material is well-known for various applications such as furniture-making, flooring, and home furnishing. However, it’s only suitable for interior use since it’s prone to warping with prolonged exposure to moisture.
Installing wood slats is an easy way to add texture to your walls. All in all, choosing the most durable and weather-resistant material is the most ideal. However, the best wood type still depends on your preferred style, exposure to other elements, and budget.