Creating decor with your own hands is not only spectacular, but also an easy way to enliven the interior of your home. Even a space that has been furnished by a skilled designer will look standard and boring without decor. On the contrary, to make an original decoration for the home means to bring exclusivity to the atmosphere of the home.
Decorating the interior on your own is a doubly interesting process that will help unite all family members for a common creative activity. All you need is craft supplies and inspiration. Children’s help is also welcome! So, how and what kind of do-it-yourself decor for the home?
DIY decor ideas
You can make almost any kind of home decor yourself with the help of available materials and tools: photo frames, vases, boxes for small items, planters, rugs, pillows and even furniture. We recommend making an original item that will not only be beautiful, but also functional.
Do not buy a stamped item from the store: the kitchen will not become prettier or cozier with it. In extreme cases, it can be used as the basis for further needlework. Even an ordinary wall, on which a decorative clock, a framed panel, or a stylish lamp are randomly located, will become the interior center of the kitchen and turn a small room into a non-standard space.
As practice shows, to make a decor that does not carry at least a minimum functional load is a waste of free time. Such things are soon forced out of the house and replaced by other, more useful ones. For example, in most cases, an empty bottle on a window with an overly narrow neck, decorated with decoupage, will not take root.
If decorating skills are at the initial level, then we recommend working with objects of medium or small sizes. It is better to save things of large sizes for the times when you have enough experience.
How to create a decor with your own hands?
Making a beautiful decor using several techniques that are considered basic is real. Their thorough development will take no more than a couple of weeks. Then you need to practice a lot, creating decor for interiors – your own, your friends … For this stage of mastering the intricacies of hand-made, it is better to stock up on material of the middle or low price segments. Use expensive material later, when decor technologies are mastered perfectly. But to create truly high-quality things will only come from the “ingredients” of the appropriate level.
Decor creation techniques
It is impossible for homemade decor to stand out unnecessarily and break harmony. For example, a multi-colored and multi-textured patchwork rug may not fit a high-tech or minimalist interior. But if its shades are well combined with style elements and textures, then such a rug can even become a key center. We list the most common decor techniques that you can do yourself at home:
- Creation of a complex texture on a homogeneous surface. Instead of the usual brush, a foam sponge is used, randomly folded fabric. As a result, the paint is applied unevenly, creating the original texture of the walls. This technology also implies the use of textured pastes. In the original packaging, they have a soft texture, which allows them to be used for modeling. Upon contact with air, the textured paste dries quickly.
- Decoupage. The method consists in attaching fragments of decorative motifs to walls, furniture, and interior accessories with glue. Their source is special decoupage napkins or cards, photographs, magazine clippings, drawings printed on paper. Motifs fixed with glue are varnished after drying. The varnish provides reliable protection of a surface against moisture, pollution.
- Quilling. Allows you to create interesting paper decor for your home with your own hands. Quilling is designed for walls or any parts with a flat surface. Applications are twisted, which are then attached to the desired thing with glue. Butterflies, flowers, silhouettes of animals or people – fantasy will tell the plot of a paper picture.
- Felting. A small figurine or a decorative element rolls out of the wool, which becomes part of the interior composition. Unusual decor looks cute and pleasantly softens any environment.
- Knitting and embroidery. Ordinary fabric after embroidering a pattern on it becomes a real “highlight” of the interior. Decorated textiles are placed in a frame, used as a material for lamp shades, covers, and bed linen.
The wooden element also becomes an original decoration of any interior. An important condition: make sure that the knitted or embroidered material is removable. Or cleaning it will cause serious difficulties.
- Patchwork. This technique involves the creation of textiles from numerous small patches of fabrics of different types and shades. Despite its originality, patchwork is very popular with modern designers. Many of them include products made using this technique in interiors of various styles. But it is best combined with country, boho, eclectic, ethnic (Moroccan, Indian, Russian) patchwork. Everyone can master this technique.
- Floristics. Any interior, thanks to fresh flowers (freshly cut or indoor) , is transformed before our eyes. But compositions from artificial or specially dried plants can look no less advantageous and impressive. Oriental flower arrangements and bonsai look especially elegant and stylish.
- Painting. To use this decor method, you need to have minimal artistic skills. For example, it is allowed to paint a lamp with a dot technique, which the master will only need accuracy and perseverance. Do-it-yourself painted home decor elements can be decorated with motifs of any degree of complexity. Sometimes a sketchy drawing of a butterfly on the walls can look no less impressive than an intricate pattern.