If you are considering painting your kitchen cabinets, you may be wondering what the cost is to professionally paint kitchen cabinets in 2023. Most homeowners would agree that painting kitchen cabinets are one of the easiest and least expensive ways to do a kitchen renovation.
The cost to paint your cabinets is a lot cheaper than replacing them, and it will give you a chance to customize your kitchen’s look. You’ll be amazed at how much brighter and more cheerful your kitchen will look after you’ve painted it. If you’re ready to get started, here’s what you need to know about the cost of painting your kitchen cabinets:
The General Cost of Painting Kitchen Cabinets
So, how much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets in Toronto?
When it comes to painting your kitchen cabinets, you have a few options. You can do it yourself, you can hire someone to do it for you, or you can hire a professional to paint them for you. Of course, doing it yourself is always the cheapest option, but it can be time-consuming and difficult to get right. However, if you want to get the best results possible, it’s important to have them professionally painted. Spray painting is usually a better option than rolling or brushing because it’s faster and more efficient, which can save you money in the long run. But how much will it cost?
For a typical kitchen cabinet project, you can expect to pay between $3,500 and $4,000. But you can pay as little as $2,900 or as much as $8,000.
This is the general average budget for a kitchen renovation that covers the cost of kitchen cabinet spray painting in Toronto and other cities across Canada.
Your actual price will vary, however, according to a number of variables.
Factors that Affect Your Cost of Painting Kitchen Cabinets
- Size of Project. A larger project will cost more than a smaller one simply because more labour and materials are required to complete it. This will determine how many coats are needed to cover them, how long it takes to paint them, and how many painters are needed to complete your job.
- How many colours you want to use. If you are looking for a simple, single-colour option, the price will be less than if you decide to paint your cabinets in multiple colours. This is because it takes more time and effort to apply multiple coats of paint than it does just one. The finish you choose will also have an impact on your price. For example, a glossy finish is more expensive than a satin one because it requires several coats of paint and more time to apply them.
- Any niche features you want to be done on your cabinets. The cost of your price will increase as you add more features to your cabinets. Here are some of the things you can expect to pay for extra:
• If you want to change the hardware on your cabinets or add new handles or knobs.
• It will increase the cost if you want your cabinet doors to have slow-closing hinges or magnetic ones because they need to be custom-made.
• Big finishes like lots of crown moulding or an island in your kitchen, will increase the cost because these require special attention to detail and preparation beforehand.
- The condition of your cabinets. Are your cabinets in good or terrible shape? Are there scratches or dents? These things will affect how much you pay for your cabinets. If your cabinets are in good condition but just need a quick cleaning and some touch-ups, it will be cheaper than if they need to be completely redone due to water damage or other issues.
- The amount of preparation that needs to be done on your cabinets before painting will affect how much time it takes to complete your project. If there is a lot of grease on your cabinets, for example, then painters will have to wash them down with TSP before they can paint them. This requires additional time and effort and therefore costs more money than if they didn’t have to do it.
- Roller vs Spray Painting your kitchen cabinets. Rolling or brushing your kitchen cabinets will be a more cost-effective approach, while spray painting your kitchen cabinets could cost two to three times more expensive, depending on the amount of sanding and preparation necessary prior to spraying. The difference will be in the finish, where only spray painting cabinets will leave a factory finish, providing a brand-new look that cannot be achieved by rolling alone.
Cost of Painting Kitchen Cabinets versus Replacing Them
As you might imagine, the cost of painting kitchen cabinets versus replacing them depends on a number of factors. If you have cheap old PVC cabinets, it’s probably going to be cheaper to replace them than to professionally spray paint them. But if you have medium-to-high-end wood cabinets, like oak or maple, then the cost of painting your cabinets can be as little as 1/3 of what it would cost to replace them.
Usually, a brand-new high-end wood kitchen cabinet can cost anywhere between $20,000-$40,000 while a kitchen cabinet spray painting project can cost you between $2,900-$8,000. So if you have existing high-end wood cabinets and want to paint them instead of replacing them, that could save you anywhere from $15,000-$30,000!
How to Negotiate Your Cost of Painting Kitchen Cabinets with a Contractor
- Package them with other jobs in your house. For example, you might have a bathroom that needs some new paint or flooring work done. Package these jobs together with your kitchen cabinet job and ask for special pricing on all three items!
- Schedule your paint during slow times. Some contractors offer discounts during slow times like November through March when they are less busy and can afford to give you a discount.
- Consider going through a contractor with whom you have a referral. Contractors often have connections within their industry and can refer new clients who they know will be happy with their work. This will help you to get a discount on the final price of painting your kitchen cabinets because the contractor will be able to offer a lower price in exchange for getting more business through referrals.
- Another way to save money is by choosing one colour versus multiple colours. If you choose many colours, it will increase the time spent painting your kitchen cabinets, which will increase costs as well. If you choose one colour instead of multiple colours, however, it will make it much easier for your contractor to paint all of your kitchen cabinets at once.
- Do some prep work before you call your contractor. You can save money by prepping your kitchen cabinets like washing your cabinets. This will make it easier for your contractor to paint your kitchen cabinets and save money.
Warning: You may be tempted to think that you can save money by removing the doors and hinges from your cabinets and delivering them to the spray painter. But it is imperative to keep them in the exact same location and order as they were before. If not, your painter may need to re-adjust the hinges or other elements of your cabinets, which will cost more time and money in the long run. So sometimes it’s better to let your painter remove and reinstall them so they can organize this aspect of your project.
Ways to Financing Your Cost of Painting Kitchen Cabinets
The cost of painting kitchen cabinets is often a big deterrent for homeowners. But don’t worry! There are many ways to pay for your kitchen cabinet painting without breaking the bank.
- You can go to a painting company that has painting plans. Ask if they offer payment plans or installment payments, and see if you can get them for 3-4 installments instead of just one big payment. If you’re lucky, they might have no interest payments for 1 year!
- Another option is using a personal loan or home equity line of credit. This allows you to borrow money against the value of your house so that you don’t have to pay as much out of pocket up front.
- Consider using a credit card that offers a 0% APR or balance transfer. It’s a great way to save money on interest, but be careful not to spend more than you can afford!
When deciding how much money you want to spend on painting your cabinets, keep in mind that this is also an investment that will increase the value of your home, and last for years—and maybe even decades—to come.
Hiring professionals to paint your cabinets can be expensive, but it’s definitely worth it for this kind of high-end niche service.
If you’ve been in the market for a home painting contractor, we hope you’ll consider Home Painters Toronto. They are a small team of highly qualified painters striving to maintain our reputation of being fully licensed and in full service. So give us a call at 416.494.9095 or email Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com.