Is your kitchen in really bad shape, or are you tired of the cabinets you have right now? Are you looking for professional cabinet painting, or would you enjoy a little DIY project? If so, you’re probably wondering: how much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets?
These are questions you have to answer for yourself. For everything else, we are here to help! Let’s start with the average cabinet painting cost.
The average cost of painting your kitchen cabinets in the US is between $1,200 and $7,000. There is a big difference between just above $1,000 and almost $10,000. The total depends on a variety of factors we will discuss below. For now, let’s focus on breaking down the average costs.
How much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets? Let’s find out
Paint and primer
Image source: Cabinet Encounters
The average cost of a gallon of paint or primer is between $20 and $50. One gallon is enough to cover 300 to 400 square feet. Of course, it is recommended to opt for higher quality paint and primer. While these will cost you more, they will also last longer, resist stains, and provide a more even coverage.
Cabinet paint kit
Image source: Venegas and Company
A cabinet paint kit is perfect for beginners and DIY enthusiasts. One kit costs between $50 and $100, and it contains masking tape, brushes and a roller, paint, and instructions. You can buy everything separately if you prefer, but this might just make the job easier.
Image source: Cugno Architecture
Glazing involves adding a transparent coat over the wood. It makes the wood look more polished. On average, it costs between $10 and $25 to glaze 1 square foot. If you hire a professional, you will be charged between $1,500 and $3,500 for the whole kitchen (on average).
DIY-ing this step will save you a lot of money.
Image source: Village Home Stores
Materials are something you will have to pay for anyway, whether you choose to hire someone or paint your cabinets yourself. Ultimately, it all comes down to labor costs.
Labor generally costs more than materials, as materials tend to range between $200 and $600.
A professional can charge you per cabinet door, square foot, or linear foot. Keep in mind that the worse the condition of the cabinet, the more you’ll be charged.
What affects the cost?
The cost to repaint kitchen cabinets depends on a variety of factors. Here are some of them:
The cabinets are in really bad shape
Image source: Savvy Kitchens
If the cabinets are in rough shape, it will take much longer to get them to the desired result. You will likely have to apply several coats of primer and paint. That results in higher material costs and longer hours.
You can do it by yourself, but it’s easier to hire a professional.
Your kitchen is bigger/smaller than the average
Image source: weaver Custom Homes
Square footage of the area gives an idea of the size of the cabinets. Some contractors charge by the linear foot, so naturally, a bigger cabinet will cost more.
Bigger cabinets will also require more materials and lead to higher labor costs.
The surface of the cabinet requires more/less priming
Image source: Maletz Design
Your cabinets will likely need some preparation before the first coat of paint can be applied. That includes cleaning, sanding, bond priming, and, finally, applying primer.
You might even need several coats of primer, depending on the surface. Primer helps the paint adhere to the cabinet and last longer.
You chose to spray/roll
Image source: Love & Interiors
Two common ways of painting kitchen cabinets include spraying and rolling. Spraying is generally more effective and the preferred way. Both spraying and rolling require preparation of the surfaces.
Ask your contractor what kind of paint they are planning on using and how many coats they will apply. Check the quality of the paint. It’s always better to opt for high-quality paint, even if it’s more expensive.
Image source: Chi Renovation & Design
No matter if you choose to paint your cabinets yourself or hire a professional, you will need to spend at least $200 on materials. That includes paint with brushes, rollers, drop cloths, and painters’ tape, among other supplies.
The price will also depend on the brand you choose and the quality of the materials.
Should you spray or roll?
Both spraying and rolling have their advantages and disadvantages. How much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets using one or the other method? Here is a quick overview of both.
- Rolling creates a thicker and more consistent layer of paint.
- It is often used to cover dark stains or the color of the cabinet.
- Rolling is easier to do.
- It leaves small drops, drips, and pools of paint.
- The result won’t be as smooth as after spraying.
Opt for rolling if you have a small kitchen or want to paint your cabinets yourself. Use a painting brush to get all the small crevices the roller will miss.
- Spraying gives you a smoother and more even coat of paint.
- There will be no drips.
- Spraying allows you to cover even the most narrow crevices.
- It also covers all textures.
- Spraying is more expensive, as you need to rent a gun. Renting a gun costs between $40 and $120 per day.
- You will also need to remove doors and drawers.
Spraying is more common among professional kitchen painters. If you hire someone to paint your drawers, they will probably use spray.
On average, you will pay between $400 and $1000 to hire someone to paint your kitchen drawers. Prepare to not use your kitchen for a few days to let the paint dry.
Why you should paint your cabinets
Now that we’ve answered the question “How much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets?” we want to tell you why you should do it.
For starters, it is a fun way to transform your kitchen. You can use lighter colors to brighten it up and make it look bigger. Darker colors will make your kitchen look more polished and interesting.
Either way, there are many benefits to painting your kitchen cabinets. Here are some of them:
- It’s an affordable makeover for your kitchen.
- It’s cheaper than replacing all of your cabinets.
- It’s a quick fix that will only take a couple of days. Dismantling the kitchen and installing a new one can take months.
- The new paint will last you a long time, especially if you choose high-quality paint.
- You can choose any color and make it look the way you want. Match the new cabinets to the furniture in the kitchen.
- Painted cabinets make your kitchen look more polished, which increases the value of the house. If you’re planning on putting you house up for sale, revamping your kitchen will help.
- Painting is way more eco-friendly than replacing the cabinets. Imagine the amount of waste that would bring!
If you enjoyed reading this article about how much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets, you should read these as well:
- How to Update Kitchen Cabinets Without Replacing Them
- Basement kitchen ideas for creating an amazing kitchen
- What’s the best kitchen utensil holder out there?