Woods have been used for house construction for walls or ceilings since early days and continue to be so even today. Wood ceilings are a popular option for finishing designs as it brings a richness to the interiors. All wood ceiling ideas provide a natural touch to any room and brings warmth to the place.
Woods ceiling gives a very welcoming and charming effect in the room. Not just for a ceiling, even if it is added as décor for the fifth wall, it gives away the classic décor look combining the traditional and modern interiors.
Image source: Hendricks Architecture
There are many wood ceiling ideas in a different range of wood finishes and natural tones. Each wood finish would have its unique characteristics. The interior ceilings come in various shapes and sizes with a range of solid or veneered wood, linear wood, grill ceilings and wooden ceilings using tiles or panels.
All of these things add a wow factor to the interiors of a room and creates a stunning look. It can be used in any weather conditions as well because, with the right treatment of the wood ceiling planks, they can be perfectly suitable for humid areas and devoid of pests.
What makes wood ceilings so special?
Image source: Hendricks Architecture
Wood has always held a special place in our day to day lives because it can be used for multiple purposes. There are so many ways and areas where wood can be useful which is not just limited to ceiling planks.
In this article we are only focusing on the wood ceiling ideas and why are they so popular. Here are a few points what makes wood ceiling planks so special:
1) Acoustics: Wood is a porous material and thus it acts as a natural acoustic absorbent. Wood can be used for acoustic conditioning in rooms like perforated acoustic panels for ceiling planks works as reverberation control and provides good acoustics.
2) Insulator: Wood is a natural insulator and can, therefore, keep the space warm. Due to its thermal performance, buildings, where wood ceiling planks are used, require less energy to heat or cool the area and hence results in reduced electricity consumption.
3) Hygroscopic: Some woods such as timber is hygroscopic which means it can absorb moisture when the humidity is high in the air and lose moisture when humidity is low. This property of wood allows it to function as a natural humidity controller at homes.When the air is dry, it will release moisture and when it’s too humid, it will absorb the moisture.
4) Durability: Wood is a very durable material and can last for hundreds of years if properly looked after. They are a renewable resource as well. Wood is structurally very strong.
5) Health and Well-being: Wood has physiological and psychological benefits on human being’s health like reducing stress and anxiety levels and inducing a positive and warm feeling. It is a similar way of interacting with nature outside.
6) Easy to install: Wood ceiling planks are easy to transport and install at a very less time. Because of its fast and efficient building technique, most buildings and ceilings are prefabricated offsite as well.
Wood ceiling ideas
There are different types of woods used for ceiling planks depending on the purpose of the design. Listing a few types of wood plank ceilings below:
Acoustic wood ceilings
Image source: Brandt Design Inc
Maple, Beech, Oak, Cherry and Wenge are some of the wood types which are used for acoustic wood panel ceilings. These come in different colors like white with yellowish hues, or yellow or brown with uniform texture or red hardwood and ash grey colors. These can be used for laminated wood panels of wood ceilings.
Image source: Brandt Design Inc
Veneer wood is constructed in a crisscross design by gluing thin layers of veneer wood with the grains at right layer over the thick cores. Due to this technique, the result is stronger than the natural wood and has a very solid core. It is also a very economical process and therefore can be easily afforded.
Image source: Dwelling
Solid wood is ceilings is made from natural wood pieces and therefore holds a unique character. It is durable and can last up to several decades. Any minor scratches can easily be fixed using sandpaper.
Being natural its value increases with passing years. It has natural strength and that makes it ideal for any heavy-duty usage.
Tongue and Groove
Image source: CK Architects
This technique allows two wooden planks to be joined by interlocking the hollows and ridges down their sides.
Image source: Feldman Architecture, Inc.
In one of the wood ceiling ideas, there is a decorative treatment for the ceilings with thin sheets of wood called panels which are framed together. Paneling such as wainscoting which means lining with oak wood to make a wood panel ceiling was quite popular in earlier days.
Image source: Key Residential
A beamed wood ceiling is one with exposed beams which can be integrated into a regular flat ceiling or a vaulted wood ceiling.
Image source: Michael Abrams Interiors
This is an inverted ceiling which is a few inches higher than areas around the perimeters of the ceiling. It appears similar to a tray’s front side, hence, has derived its name from it.
They look best in larger rooms and the center space of the ceiling can be decorated with either mirrors or paintings to add a touch of glamour.
Image source: Kelvin Browne Architecture
Shed ceiling architecture refers to single-sloped roof style which is asymmetric with strong lines and has a roof and wall intersection. This style provides better insulation and ventilation. It is also very adaptable to the site locations and local climatic changes.
A coved ceiling does not have sharp angles between the ceiling and walls, rather have curved edges. They can make your wood ceiling appear higher than it is and gives a traditional and contemporary touch to the house.
Image source: HAUS | Architecture For Modern Lifestyles
Fiberboard could be a soft board with a is a low-density wood fiber sheet or hardboard with a high-density fiber. It is used for walls and ceiling linings. They have better thermal insulation in both summers and winters. The acoustic protection is also great with soft board ceiling.
Image source: Celebrity Communities
One of the wood ceiling ideas is to have a coffered ceiling which is created with a series of sunken panels in the shape of square, rectangle or octagon. The origin of coffered ceilings goes back to the ancient Greeks and Romans.
Wood ceiling ideas for décor
Wood ceiling planks have a natural texture and charm which can warm up any space. Here are a few ways to add some more décor to it.
Mosaic inspired wood ceiling planks
Image source: Timberlake Custom Homes
One of the wood ceiling ideas is to have a mosaic print create on the ceiling by a mix and match of different wood stains to create a unique mosaic pattern and design.
Painted wood ceiling
To give the ceiling an extra edge of décor, you can also paint it some natural dark colors like bold chestnut or paint white or grey shade for a classic vintage aesthetic.
Lit up the ceiling
Image source: Zorzi
You can embed LED lights at the sides of the wood panel ceiling which will lit up the corner space of the ceilings and add glamour to the room. It can add a soft touch of lights and be easy on the eyes when you don’t want to have the bright lights on.
Rustic all-wood look
Image source: Peabody’s Interiors
Create a rustic look by extending the wood ceiling planks to the walls till the floor to get an all rustic wood look. You can have the wood planks for the ceiling retain a natural matte finish to create rough impact.
Image source: Envi Interior Design Studio
One of the wood ceiling ideas would be to create a classic industrial look by exposing the ventilation or plumbing in the room. You can add some decorative items of copper material like a copper ceiling lamp to have that industrial chic effect.
If you enjoyed reading this article about wood ceiling ideas, you should read these as well:
- Coastal Style Home Design And Decoration Ideas
- Have you seen these awesome loft bedroom ideas?
- Vintage Bedroom Ideas You Shouldn’t Overlook